RE: [Xen-devel] [patch] "frame number" size in hypercall ABI

Keir Fraser wrote:
> On 19 Apr 2006, at 17:44, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
>
>> "xen_frameno_t" then?
>
> xen_pfn_t? Definitely won't conflict with anyone, and I prefer 'pfn'
> to 'frameno' as it's more consistent with other names we have in the
> interface.
>
>> Attached is the updated patch, with typos fixed and a couple other
>> corrections. I've also added the type to arch-x86_64.h and
>> arch-ia64.h, so I think the patch is ready to be applied.
>
> What about the Linux kernel -- shouldn't that be changed too? At least
> where it handles arrays of longs passed to memory_op()?
>
> Inside Xen, does shadow.h really need changing at all? Once entries
> are unpacked from an array by a hypercall they could just be passed
> round as longs, right?

I don't think we need those changes in shadow.h. I'm not clear what we
are tying to achieve here. I assume the area of interest is just
hypercall ABI, not changing the data type for the page frame numbers
(from unsigned long to xen_pfn_t).

> Sorry about the to'ing-and-fro'ing but we need to make sure interface
> changes are complete and correct and this one is inevitably pretty
> far-reaching.
>
>   -- Keir

Jun
---