[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-changelog] Define Xen interface version for tools build.

On 6 Apr 2006, at 10:04, Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

How about something like the attached?
- define XEN_LATEST_INTERFACE_VERSION in Config.mk
- for the tools, it's included from tools/Makefile directly
- for the Xen and kernel builds, generate public/interface.h with it
and include that.
- this has one drawback - the public/ headers aren't self contained
any more, since interface.h needs to be generated before it's
used. The only case is this bits us is if someone copies
include/public.h and tries to use that out of the tree, which doesn't
seem like a very likely occurance.

We'd like to avoid the kernel sparse tree from becoming very intertwined with our repository's build system. I like the current method of specifying the interface version via Kconfig, and I think the independence that gains us outweighs the hassle of having to update both the Kconfig and Xen's xen-compat.h.

The tools definition is a bit of a pain I agree. Hence the suggestion we pin it to always select the latest interface version, since we currently always build tools and hypervisor as a matched pair.

 -- Keir