RE: [Xen-devel] Compiling xenoprof

  • To: "David Carr" <dc@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Santos, Jose Renato G" <joserenato.santos@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:54:49 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 08:56:02 -0700

David,

You are right. This is not very clean.
Yes, you need to do a "make" to create the xen0 and xenU trees
before applying the patch in step c).
If you configure the kernel with oprofile support (CONFIG_OPROFILE)
before step c) you will probably get a compilation error when
you run make since the patch was not applied yet. You could either delay
setting (CONFIG_OPROFILE) for after you apply patch "c" or you
can apply the patch after you get the compilation error, and then
run make again.

It would be better if there was a "make" option to create the
xen0/xenU trees without compiling them. Does anybody know if
there is such an option? I remember looking for it in the Makefile
and not finding it, but this was a while ago.

We are now working on getting the xenoprof code included in
xen-unstable.
This should make life much easier for those wanting to use oprofile.

Renato