[Xen-devel] [RFC] Auto rebind PCI devices

Hi Ryan,

I remember you showing some interest when I suggested rebinding PCI devices
automatically.  I've hacked together a quick prototype of "what I meant".

I put a bundle at:
http://www.cambridge.intel-research.net/~mwilli2/pci_auto_rebind.hg

You can fetch my changes into a repository using:
hg unbundle <url>

The behaviour is:
* If the device specified in a domain config file is already bound to another
driver in dom0, fail creation with an error - as before.
* If the device specified in the config is not currently bound to a driver,
add it to the pciback driver and create the domain.
* If the device specificed in the config is bound *and* pci-force-rebind is
set, then unbind it from the existing driver and rebind it to pciback, then
start the domain.

pci-force-rebind allows users who want total automation in the rebinding
process to have it, whilst by default preventing the automatic rebinding from
stealing devices dom0 is relying on.

I'd be interested to see what you think about it - in particular, whether
there are potential failures in the rebinding code that I ought to be
catching (e.g. if drivers won't unbind from a device - can that happen?).
Any objections to the general functionality?

Cheers,
Mark