Re: [Xen-devel] ARP cache problems / slow connect times in routed mode - Bug #596 opened

On 1 Apr 2006, at 18:12, Matt Ayres wrote:

Perhaps the community can enlighten me, who is in the wrong here, RedHat or I? We support many other distributions (Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, Mandriva/Mandrake, Slackware) and no others want to add the link local network as a static route.

RedHat-based distros are configured with 'zeroconf' support by default, which is what adds the 169.254 route iirc. If you don't care for that (I can't imagine many people do) then it's a good idea to add 'NOZEROCONF=yes' to /etc/sysconfig/network.

The other oddity is why does having the /24 statically routed along with the /18 cause any IP on the internet to be added to the ARP cache? That part right there is what is most confusing to myself.

Agreed, that doesn't seem to make any sense!

 -- Keir