Re: [Xen-devel] [patch] make evtchn_upcall_pending arch-specific type

On 1 Apr 2006, at 04:55, Jimi Xenidis wrote:

Before going down this route, what about just casting the field to long, since it is actually aligned on a suitable boundary, as it happens?

We tried that, but to get the right bit we would have to use 56 not 0.

Actually, evtchn_upcall_pending is touched in very few places in Xen common code. Using bit 56 is not very pretty but should be easy to hide behind a macro? You can hide the cast to long inside the same macro. You already need to arch-dep the event_pending() macro, for your MSR.EE check, and that's one of the main ways in which common code accesses the pending flag.

Would that be nicer than adding another one-shot typedef in the public headers and bloating a struct on PPC?

 -- Keir