[Xen-devel] __function API

[resending to the still-active list]

I have a question about function naming conventions in headers. I've been
assuming that the __ prefix means "internal", i.e. not really part of the
exported API of a header. But I see code like this in
include/asm-x86/shadow.h:

#define __translate_gpfn_to_mfn(_d, gpfn)              \
    ( (shadow_mode_translate(_d))                      \
      ? translate_gpfn_to_mfn(_d, gpfn)                \
      : (gpfn) )

static inline unsigned long
translate_gpfn_to_mfn(struct domain *rd, unsigned long gpfn)
{
}

In this case, __translate_gpfn_to_mfn() is the *only* thing called by common
code. translate_gpfn_to_mfn() is not.

Another example is _domain in asm-x86/mm.h: it's used in common/page_alloc.c.

As I implement the arch->common API, I've been skipping the __functions, but
it seems many of them are in fact part of that API (while many others are
not). In general is it ok for common code to call __functions provided by
architecture headers, or should that be considered a bug?

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center