Re: [Xen-devel] performance problems

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 14:35, Henning Glawe wrote:
> Moin,
> I just did a quick comparison regarding speed of xen vs. vmware-workstation
> using a FAI installation test (FAI is a debian autoinstaller).
>
> Test setup:
> host "burns", athlon xp 2100+, 512MB, via chipset
> - provides an nfsroot (on hda)
> - second disk is partitioned into hdb1, hdb5, hdb6
> - hdb5 and hdb6 are exported to vmware or xenU
> - installation pumps 4.1G of software from a local debian mirror to hdb6
>   (seen as hda6 in xenU/vmware ws) using apt and configures the software
> - assigned 192 M of Memory in both cases to the virtual machines
> - burns is connected to the local debian mirror using a 1000 mbit NIC and a
>   switch

I really don't know how this installation works, but just in case:  Is it
possible "burns" only pulls from the mirror the first time, and on subsequent
installations it is cached?  I am wondering if the first test (Xen) it had to
pull data across the network, and on the second test (Vmware) already had the
data cached on burns.

So far I haven't seem much degrade at all in the tests I have run (dbench3,
SDET, kernel compiles).  Actually I was quite surprised how well the VBD's IO
performance was so far.  The only "significant" degrade I have seen was SDET,
around 12.5% lower than bare metal linux.  I have not looked into network
performance yet, but I think that'll be next on my list...

-Andrew Theurer