xense-devel

Re: [Xense-devel] Enforcing MAC policies across different machines

To: "Daniele Sgandurra" <danisgan@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xense-devel] Enforcing MAC policies across different machines
From: Reiner Sailer <sailer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:56:49 -0400
Cc: xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:57:09 -0700
Sender: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Daniele,

we are glad you like our write-up and we are looking forward to involve more people in the plentiful rewarding work that aims at robust and usable security in virtualized environments.

The Xen mandatory access control framework is being completed with resource controls (largely submitted and committed into the Xen-devel tree) and local network controls (to be submitted very soon).  A simple policy creation GUI and the Xen user guide chapter will follow promptly and aim at making it easy to experiment with this framework by August.

You assume correctly that we are pursuing research and development related to a distributed reference monitor. We are pretty far into this topic and have existing collaborations with Universities.

However, there are many interesting open topics. I have quickly put together the following list of topics that seem both critical for Xen security and interesting from a development and  research perspective. I think that those topics are good starting points for interested people to become familiar with Xen and security and to contribute to Xen in the security area:

* secure services, e.g., monitoring of user domains (anti virus, IDS), auditing, etc. --> there are existing monitoring projects, e.g., Xen Introspection Library (http://www.bryanpayne.org/3_software.php), Xen/Snort (http://www.xensource.com) and certainly many that I am not aware of
* creating minimal domains (not necessarily Linux) to (i) safely host hardware devices (e.g., storage) and share it among different workloads or (ii) to host secure services mentioned above
* applications leveraging the sHype/Xen mandatory access controls
* building Trusted Virtual Domains on top of the Xen virtualization (for an overview of TVD concepts, see for example  http://www.research.ibm.com/ssd_tvd)  -- this one might be a little heavy to lift for a single person but appropriate for small collaboration groups

We are pursuing some of these topics ourselves. However,  we depend on the community to help make these things happen. Therefore, we are very open to consulting others who work in these areas and we are open to collaborations. I encourage readers of this list to contribute topics in any Xen security area where they are looking for help.

Finally, we are very interested in knowing about any projects around Xen security (sHype/ACM, vTPM, and secure services) and will help where we can to ensure that Xen security services matter to users and distributions.

Best Regards
Reiner
Reiner Sailer, Research Staff Member, Secure Systems Department
IBM T J Watson Research Ctr, 19 Skyline Drive, Hawthorne NY 10532
Phone: 914 784 6280  (t/l 863)  Fax: 914 784 6205, sailer@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/s/sailer/

"Daniele Sgandurra" <danisgan@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: xense-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

07/11/2006 09:38 AM

xense-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[Xense-devel] Enforcing MAC policies across different machines

Hello everyone,
I've read a recent thread
(http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xense-devel/2006-04/msg00001.html)
and a very interesting document
(http://domino.research.ibm.com/library/cyberdig.nsf/papers?SearchView&Query=RC23865&SearchMax=10)
and I would like to know if the concept of a distributed reference
monitor for enforcing MAC policies is something on which you are
working on, and in what areas of security is possible (if possible) to
help in the development of Xen.
Thank you very much!