Re: [Xen-users] understanding memory hot-plug in a paravitual domU

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] understanding memory hot-plug in a paravitual domU
From: Jordi Moles Blanco <jordi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:14:49 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 00:15:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Al 16/11/11 23:33, En/na James Harper ha escrit:
i get that 'server' has 2048MB of memory.

Then i start playing with:

**********
# xm mem-max server 4096
# xm mem-max server 4096
**********

Did you really do mem-max twice, or was the second one actually mem-set?

James

Hi,

sorry, obviously, that was a mistake.

actually, i did this:

**********
# xm mem-max server 4096
# xm mem-set server 4096
**********

can i suppose then that this should work?

the thing is that xen doesn't complain, but both 'xen top' and the machine itself don't seem to show any increase in the memory.

However, it works when setting a lower value.

For example, I can create 'server' with 2048 and then go down to 1024 and then to 2048 again, but never to a higher value. So... i guess that mem-hotplug works because I can go down and up, but It can never go up higher than the initial memory value.

that's why yesterday I was asking if that's is even possible,

I don't know if it has anything to do, but dom0 is Debian Squeeze and the domUs i've tried with are Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu Natty and Fedora 15.

Thanks.

--
Jordi Moles Blanco
Sistemes Cdmon.com