Re: [Xen-users] create LVM-based domU using more than one volume group

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] create LVM-based domU using more than one volume group
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 18:59:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:23:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adam Gold wrote:
Is it possible to create a guest installation which sources its partitions using more than one volume group. For example, let's saying there are two VGs on dom0, vgxen1 and vgxen2, could I define the guest creation paramters such that root and swap are LVs within vgxen1 and home is an LV within vgxen2?

Xen doesn't care - you just need to specify the right block device for each virtual disk.

Is there an additional flag I can add to xen-create-image maybe?

Ah, now that's a different matter. I don't use tools any more for creating images - I just manually create block devices and either copy a template blank guest onto them, or us debootstrap to install a fresh install (all my hosts and guests are Debian).

Worst case is that you could create the guest using just one (or a small number of) devices, then once it's installed you can mount the disks in Dom0 and move stuff about - eg make a new filesystem for /home, mount it as (say) /mnt2, move everything from /mnt/home/ to /mnt2/ (assuming the guest root is mounted at /mnt), and then edit the guest fstab.

--
Simon Hobson