Re: [Xen-users] New Install Plan Help - NIC Requirements

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:11 AM,  <ray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Additionally, being new to Linux, I would like to understand how to chase
> down warnings, errors, etc.

Short version, if you're new to Linux, then don't even bother trying
to setup Xen manually. Just use the free vmware vsphere hypervisor,
oracle vm, or citrix xen server. All of them installs on bare metal
and has nice GUI, easy to use for beginners. For most purposes one
gigabit NIC + vlan-capable switch would be enough to simulate typical
datacenter network (e.g. DMZ, public, intranet)

Long version, Linux is not really the best OS when it comes to
compatibility. DIfferent versions of library, or different versions of
a program (e.g. Xen 3.x vs Xen 4.x) can produce different
warnings/errors or require different ways to setup. If you want to try
to setup Xen on top of Linux dom0 manually, I highly suggest you start
with distro-bundled Xen first. For example (the somewhat old but
rock-solid) RHEL/Centos 5.7, or (Open)suse, or certain versions of
Debian.

And if you're following a tutorial (book, web page, etc), check on the
publication date and software versions mentioned there, just in case
it's obsolete.

--
Fajar