Re: [Xen-users] Re: [XCP] Error when trying to import vmware images

Maybe this will help, Jordan: http://xkcd.com/293/

just replace toaster with XCP and you're there.

More usefully:

There's a citrix article/tool for doing vmware conversions:

The article suggests exporting to OVF from vmware first (I was using vmware ESXi myself), which works, but it's really slow. So if you have a big 300GB VM like I did, you can instead just directly copy out the VMDK files (via sftp, or via HTTP from the ESX web interface) and go from there.

The main catch is that before doing a vmdk conversion with xenconvert, you need to consolidate everything down to a single vmdk to avoid headaches (e.g. delete all snapshots, etc).. xenconvert doesn't handle multiple vmdks at once.

I can't remember exactly why, but myself, I ran into some difficulties.. and I remember I ended up converting my vmdks to VHDs first, and then I successfully used this acronis tool to migrate those VHDs into XCP:

I wanted to run that acronis tool from a separate linux box, so I setup the xe management CLI on another machine like this:

Cheers,
Andrew