[Xen-users] Pass through serial keyboard/mouse devices to domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Pass through serial keyboard/mouse devices to domU
From: jrs@xxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:15:48 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:17:15 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm setting up Xen 4.1.1 on a laptop running CentOS 6, and attempting to pass through the trackpad/keyboard to a domU. The devices seem to be wired via PS/2, showing up in /sys/bus/serio and using i8042. My familiarity with busses other than PCI and USB is rather lacking, but insofar as I can tell, it seems that these are effectively serial devices, and so should be capable of being passed through via the irq/ioport settings in domU config. I tried using irqs [1,12] and ioports ['60','64'], but no luck. Checking /proc/irq/1/spurious shows that the system dom0 appears to be receiving IRQs, but they aren't being sent to the domU.

It's possible I'm barking up the wrong tree entirely with that, but I've been messing around with this for days and haven't made any headway. As the host machine is a laptop, switching to a USB keyboard for standard use is not an option (although using a USB keyboard does of course work), and so getting these specific devices is the only working solution. That said, if something more involved than passthrough is required to make this work, that's fine - I briefly entertained using a headless RBF session to just pipe input to the guest, but that required doing a lot of processing for mouse positioning.

Any help would be vastly appreciated - this is the last step in a couple weeks worth of effort.