Re: [Xen-users] New Install Planning

To: ray@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] New Install Planning
From: chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 19:08:00 -0500
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 16:09:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM, <ray@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am planning a new installation of hypervisor.  I have read many of the examples but I am have not been able to determine how to start.  While the user manual is succinct in its presention, I there were explainations as to why any particular step is performed - I do not know enough to read between the lines.

I have seen how to install when starting from a Linux installation.  I would like the Xen install to be independent.  Is that possible?  My intent is to build a machine for running daily tasks and experimenting with applications on VMs to facilitate testing and manage configurations.  Some of these VMs will be running, not heavily loaded, while doing daily tasks.

I would like to hear comments on this configuration plan.  I would like to have bootable disk for a Windows OS, a Debian, and a Xen.  I expect to mainly use the Xen and perform daily activities in a VM.  The other two bootable partitions would be as backups.

The difficulty I saw with the examples of installing Xen was that the boot was directly tied to a Linux installation.  So I am wondering if there is a way to install Xen so it is isolated. And where might I find an installation process to achieve this.

I would appreciate any comments that will help me learn more about the process.

The hypervisor is not something you interact with directly you need a privileged domain to aka dom0 to communicate with the hypervisor. You can install xen from pretty much any distro and your existing installation will act as dom0. You can then have a windows domU which you can interact with rather than have a boot disk, as well as a debian domU.