Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480

To: Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] OpenSuse 11 hvm domU: screen resolution up to 640x480
From: jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 03:44:26 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 01:45:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=bellsouth.net; s=s1024; t=1320569075; bh=GITLclGobSYhlvz//Ijfir8N+1K1w9ZH22NP3RwDf9Q=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:From:To:Cc:Subject:Date:Message-ID:User-Agent:In-Reply-To:References:MIME-Version:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type; b=AD7uIUetYzuyRQqt9xiBauJKKvOWkEO9snH0DSu7JKkX15XZZV9WKPUuE8aHFYC4lGG0J6du2NBMoLXTccX+FaL8Nx5elFkYvELQibgDKQ4n+m3G4Dl76pSxK20V6cSaFlLgvaazk12t598fZ9JJwCunMUKjREBmdQQjK4oiY4k=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun November 6 2011, 8:56:53 AM, Flavio wrote:
> On 6 November 2011 08:28, Flavio <fbcyborg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Well, I've read it. I use xl and I didn't understand why I don't have
> > this problem on windows-domU.
> > Actually the screen resolution is higher and the 4M videoram
> > limitation error message
> > doesn't not appear in the qemu-dm-windows-7.log. What about the
> > "cirrus" vga device
> > model? Something tells me that with my Open Suse guest, I've used a
> > cirrus vga device model, but not on windows-7. I don't remember to have
> > done this choice somewhere.
>
> By the way: if I try to setup a domU using the qemu-system command, the
> installation starts, but after pressing "Install", I get a blank screen!
>
> --
> Flavio

If you do a 'rpm -qi qemu-system-x86' (or whatever the package name is in your
system (and package manager)), you'll see that is a kvm package, and thus not
modified for xen.

Quote:

On 6 November 2011 00:20, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's what I got when I set stdvga=1. According to the comment in
> /etc/xen/xmexample.hvm:
>
> # enable stdvga, default = 0 (use cirrus logic device model)
>
> so I use stdvga=0.
Thanks,
I've put stdvga=0 and I've got the max resolution up to 800x600 now,
but it is not sufficient for me.

> Also, be warned, if you use 'xl' instead of 'xm', it (currently) limits you
> videoram=4, according to an error message in /var/log/xen/qemu-dm.log. See
the
> thread I started on 10/29:
Yes, I've noticed that actually. This doesn't happen on windows domUs.

> Problems with 'xl create winxp' (hvm) on xen 4.1.2 (also affects GPLPV)
Well, I've read it. I use xl and I didn't understand why I don't have
this problem on windows-domU.
Actually the screen resolution is higher and the 4M videoram
limitation error message
doesn't not appear in the qemu-dm-windows-7.log. What about the
"cirrus" vga device
model? Something tells me that with my Open Suse guest, I've used a cirrus vga
device model, but not on windows-7. I don't remember to have done this
choice somewhere.

Thank you.

--
Flavio

:End Quote

I've never had to do a linux hvm install, so I can't comment on the
differences. Could be that the 'videoram=' option is only meant for linux or
windows, but not both. I do know I get the cirrus model in my winxp domu with
'stdvga=0', and I get the 4M videoram error with videorams greater than 4 and
using 'xl create'. I have also noticed that being limited to videoram=4 in my
winxp domu doesn't prevent me from getting 1280x1024 in vnc. (Of course, I
usually use rdp, anyway, where the client (rdesktop) lets you set the
resolution on the command line.)