Re: [Xen-users] Blktap in mainline kernel 3.x

To: João Paulo <jtpaulo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Blktap in mainline kernel 3.x
From: David Della Vecchia <ddv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:26:07 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 08:27:47 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=pjEd476c4MAI4v39u0FpQfut5uWYqjb07L5Z8ihxf90=; b=t/J32ZRCSNrJNp1/0AuNa/fcfVHoqAqDBk763i16QgUPGppXvu8nFfCHbIILw++gBq 3EzYfndLwvmBrr8LiCZtylOqXxongSTxLAZlXiF5TPIA3iJMF3tPVPfNYbIBAEp6Iadz OdXMgr6N5JLz/cjhjxZLhOnR5NPtwqhza3pWc=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I run a debian wheezy (testing) dom0 and it's 3.0.1 kernel does not have blktap(2) as you said however I did install the blktap dkms and was able to get the kernel module installed and running yet still domU's with blktap devices would just hang on boot with no error messages ever. I even tried recompiling the kernel and statically linking the blktap driver but it was the same results as using it modularized.

Sorry i can't help but to confirm your issue. I was also unable to get blktap working in centos6 with the 2.6 kernel. I use lvm-backed domU's but it would be nice to be able to store the swap or something locally with a tap: instead of file:

Thanks,
DDV