Re: [Xen-users] Need Virtualization Support in laptop

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Need Virtualization Support in laptop
From: Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 10:29:32 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:01:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=rLc2KOs8Vhqb4GMkzulImYMiBZlrMjoy67bXgUAFzCA=; b=Gw5tBmqCF6NAfrTzN0idRtIPc6tFxzxhXX+8jv3DO29SinulEVBKXNg4GjJnqBsxxU HzFEF/pp8Pc2HwHA5WaVHJITCKnb1XPcNuvgetNtgO4D+4ugyFvpU9LFGXNPN8QZEZqC NiEADrWZbZF8Ig6nZQNruiH2TQf4dDaydGsos=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:38 AM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Do you mean VT-x (the x86 cpu virtualization) or VT-d (I/O MMU)?
Sorry I do not fully understand the difference between the two.
I want to run 64 bit guest OS on my laptop.

>IMHO there's not
> much use for it for laptops though.
Actually I am an unemployed sys admin who does not have access to
servers.So my only deal is either  I work on my own laptop or a home
computer which is again an old one.

>>> The substitution of the processor is sufficient.
>
> I don't think Dell supports replacing your laptop CPU. It might be
> better to just sell it and get a new one. AFAIK most laptop CPU don't
> support VT-d (even i5-based usually have 2410M, which doesn't have
> it). If you REALLY need VT-d, your best bet might be getting i7 CPU.
>
> --
Thanks for this information I will dig it further.