Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Support for driver domains

To: Jason Sonnek <jsonnek@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Support for driver domains
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:50:40 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 18:52:26 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=/VIKpwOrpM//jQfP8CyASEnZaXuxX8ETGwCpc79sEnk=; b=wHpYPwsL9thyTcvOE2+yWEaTVGsog8s3Q0VDGD1Hh6aBasB7jb3d1SX0zm9q8cR0G3 FPKvTuX06jbDQT3Q7l1Ov84gzs+UMHMX3B7PsbQEc7ZR6q5sw85eVIrG6WE8YfUv1Xck c8ByQJ7JJPEMNwFnSuBbYO0brSe3UmIAa5Nzw=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM, Jason Sonnek <jsonnek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, Todd! That appears to address half the problem. That parameter will
> (hopefully) allow me to assign a PCI device to an unprivileged driver
> domain; are you aware of any way to modify the configuration for a DomU so
> that it uses the driver domain as the backend for its virtual device instead
> of Dom0?
>
> In Xen, if I wanted to use domain X as the backend for a vif attached to
> Domain Y, for instance, I'd specify:
>
> vif = ['backend=X']
>
> in Y's configuration file and the network scripts would take care of the
> rest. AFAICT, there is no corresponding parameter for a vif in XCP/xe.

Did you try editing /boot/extlinux.conf so that iommu=1
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/Network_Throughput_Guide#head-00940a8336ae2a7108e19297f901a951dd7bf17f

Can you also check the other debugging steps such as check
/var/log/xensource.log, etc?

The thread I previously sent you to stated that it should work for PV
guests. Can you make sure that the NIC is not in use on dom0 and check
to see if there are any messages in the guest log too?

Thanks,
Todd

--
Todd Deshane