Re: [Xen-users] Xen Cloud Platform: Dead?

To: Gregory Pierce <gpierce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Cloud Platform: Dead?
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 17:42:51 -0400
Cc: Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 14:44:14 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=X65sELjAOeGOKHN0DMkcXeB7so6AkP+JQAX+AzeU4dY=; b=N36FBQku07DOMxsXWC1OnC3y11A451y0BK1mpUrFvllb1w/RJPrrc9iiVtyWwU4niT Qpr55pd6XfIbUViqKVaZk7YiRE2tiLmVoq9ulQN71L9/iINQCNlPwqal3ga3VD7ukrLZ AVaZQN11mkxF+FlDTJORwdACX5S5iezsXRPag=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Gregory Pierce
<gpierce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is this project dead? There hasn’t been any recent news since July on 1.1
> coming out of beta…

On the contrary, XCP is actually gaining even more momentum.

This page has been updated to reflect some of the recent developments
(such as Project Kronos)
http://xen.org/products/cloudxen.html
http://blog.xen.org/index.php/2011/07/22/project-kronos/

The XCP 1.1 RC release is still due out soon. It was held up due to a
small feature enhancement in the kernel to allow even better
integration with OpenStack. It is also being run through even more QA
testing than some of the previous XCP releases.

Project Kronos is enabling even better developer (and user)
interactions as well.

In summary, XCP is not dead, but very much taking off into the right
direction (more details to come).

> Also, if it’s not dead, is there any chance we will see high availability in
> the open source?

HA is possible to do in open source. At this point some manual work is
still needed to integrate technologies like heartbeat or DRDB.

Project Kronos will also make it easier for integration of HA/DRDB,
since it will be the XCP toolstack (xapi) running on a normal Linux
distribution.

Hope that clears things up.

Thanks,
Todd