[Xen-users] change file: to tap:aio

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] change file: to tap:aio
From: Sebastian Biedermann <biedermann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:42:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 07:43:17 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear List,

I try to start a guest instance on hardware node-2 and the image is located on hardware node-1.
The plan is to do live migration between the two nodes in later steps.
For this, I configured a NFS server on node-1 dom0 which provides the image and I mount the filesytem on dom0 node-2.

I found out, that booting the instance remotley on node-2 using

disk = ['file:/xen/XenGuest1.img,xvda1,w', 'file:/xen/XenGuest1.swap,xvda2,w']

in the cfg file is not working, because I have to use 'tap:aio:' instead of 'file:'

I can boot the instance locally on node-1 using the 'file:' configuration, but not remotely on node-2. If I do, I get the error during the boot process on node-2: 'Device 51714 (vbd) could not be connected losetup /dev/loop failed' I was not able to find out what is going on there or to fix this (there are enough free loop devices).

Accordingly, I changed the cfg file to:

disk = ['tap:aio:/xen/XenGuest1.img,xvda1,w',
'tap:aio:/xen/XenGuest1.swap,xvda2,w']

But now, I cannot boot it locally and also not remotley. The boot process hangs with the Error:

XENBUS: Waiting for devices to initialise: 295s...

Can anyone please give me advice?
Thank you!!!

--
Se