[Xen-users] Xen Guest - multi CORE cpu vs multi cpus

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen Guest - multi CORE cpu vs multi cpus
From: jo2jo <jo2jo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:42:49 -0700 (PDT)
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:09:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Im running 64bit centos 5.6 and using virt-manager.

On one of my guest OS's, Windows 7, The max Physical CPUs is 2, you can have
unlimited CPU Cores however. (like my machine i use for work has 1, 4 core
processor).

The issue im having is xen only allows you to set the vcpu arguemnet in your
xen config file. How can i set it so that 1 CPU has several Cores just as
windows would recognize this machine if i were installing directly to the
hardware vs via a VM.

Ive searched for 2 days staright trying to address this issue, very little
progress, here are a few links of info i found but did not help.

Does anyone know where a XEN support forum is? all i get is the citrix xen
support forums.

here is the best info i have found on this, but i dont know how to change
this for my CPU to work, when i enter this in my xen config it essentially
ignores it and just takes the value of vcpu=

> # Expose to the guest multi-core cpu instead of multiple processors
> # Example for intel, expose a 8-core processor :
> #cpuid=['1:edx=xxx1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> # ebx=xxxxxxxx00010000xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
> # '4,0:eax=001111xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx']
> # - CPUID.1[EDX][HT] : Enable HT
> # - CPUID.1[EBX] : Number of vcpus * 2
> # - CPUID.4,0[EAX] : Number of vcpus * 2 - 1
> #vcpus=8

thanks!

http://communities.intel.com/thread/4663

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/devel/183634