RE: [Xen-users] [XCP] primary/primary DRBD 8.4.0-1 LVM-based shared SR (

To: "Jakob Praher" <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] [XCP] primary/primary DRBD 8.4.0-1 LVM-based shared SR (xcp 1.1) preformance tuning
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:09:44 +1000
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:11:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> What are your experiences with performance improving DRBD performance.
> Do you have any tricks?

Not any tricks, but if you want a comparison I'm just setting up the
following:

2 x DL165G7 servers with 2 x 2TB disks linked together via 2 x 1GB
Ethernet bonded in 'round robin' mode. Running DRBD across the bonded
link and then exporting via iSCSI across another 1GB link (will be
bonded to another link - just haven't done it yet)

2 x DL165G7 servers running VM's. I haven't set up the VM's yet but I do
have an OCFS2 volume mounted on the iSCSI, and I'm getting around 37MB/s
with the following:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.bin bs=1M count=4096 conv=fdatasync,fsync
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 113.314 s, 37.9 MB/s

I assume OCFS2 adds some overhead... and I'm hoping I can tune it a bit
higher. hdparm on the iscsi volume gives the theoretical GB/s limit of
100MBit/s raw read speed so I think the data pipe itself is pretty good.

James