RE: [Xen-users] Inter-VM Shared memory with HVM DomUs

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Inter-VM Shared memory with HVM DomUs
From: Anil Rao <anil.rao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:19:37 -0400
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 08:21:50 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Todd: Thanks for responding and getting Dan's attention on this. I appreciate
your help.

Dan: Your guess was correct. Tmem, although very useful, isn't what I am
looking for at the moment. I do hope to use it for another application that I
have in mind though in the near future. For now I am more interested in using
the grant table mechanism to enable memory sharing between VMs.

After thinking about my problem some more, I believe what is happening in that
the HVM devices are being auto-unplugged somehow by my guest kernel, once it
detects the corresponding PV drivers. However, the PV drivers are not working
(perhaps something else is needed to really turn them on) and this puts my
system into a state where no virtual disk is present. I will looking into a way
to prevent my HVM devices from getting removed. Hopefully that will fix the
problem.

Thanks.
-Anil