Re: [Xen-users] Odd behavior on Phenom II X6

To: Grant McWilliams <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Odd behavior on Phenom II X6
From: Scott Damron <sdamron@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 07:41:48 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 05:42:39 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=9cA+q/l621fxWGxG1SHvWLKZgond0kWqtT8x/siDq30=; b=RiKPIt+yKxSEBUXn1/5TpCT/i/mq7aCZT1RcQJOSx2p8BTBLHJalZor7ssjLJFSKZX W1BSq3KPbwMNcHLuHdbIQOsHQhPib/cQtkNOXKVSU1lne6hUWee7uYdOoqwI1xcneV4A EV73dKBp39O7KGppsjf+4PWZV6N3BGJqiy17M=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Grant McWilliams
<grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Scott Damron <sdamron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Grant,
>>
>> I just tried loading Ubuntu 11.04 and got the following error twice
>> and then it stops:
>>
>> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load
>> /lib/modules/2.6.35-22-generic/modules.dep: no such file or directory
>>
>> Hmmm...I am off to pick up another MOBO and see if that fixes it.  If
>> not, I am pretty much at a loss.  I used to be quite the hardware guy,
>> but that was years ago, I build PCs on a fairly regular basis, but
>> normally when I see some really odd behavior it has been a bad power
>> supply.  Maybe I will pick up one of those while I am at Fry's as
>> well...actually, seeing as I am going to Fry's, I may need to pick up
>> three of each, usually I end up finding the one bad thing no matter
>> what I am buying!  :o)  I will update the list when I figure it out,
>> maybe it will help someone else.
>>
>> Scott
>>

> My experience is if Ubuntu doesn't load on it then it's broken.
>
> Grant McWilliams

After fiddling with this for most of the evening, I have figured out
what the issue is.  The motherboard has some very specific memory
configuration requirements.  Specific brands/models of memory are
supported, but must be in specific DIMM counts, so some memory is
supported only in 2 (1 pair) DIMMS and others only in 4 (2 pair)
DIMMS.  What a pain in the ass!  I haven't seen memory requirements so
specific since the days of Compaq servers!

Scott

--

Never wrestle with a pig. You'll only get dirty and the pig likes it.