Re: [Xen-users] firewall in domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] firewall in domU
From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 18:24:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:28:11 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thursday, August 25, 2011 07:34:36 AM Tamás Pisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Xen on two Debian server now. On one, I'm going to install a
> router/firewall in a domU (dedicated for this task). It seems, the best
> would be to hide the wan interface from dom0 with pci passthrough.
> Unfortunately, the two servers aren't identical. The older doesn't have vt-d
> support, but I have to install the firewall on it, because the newer has
> bigger load now.
> My question is: how can I use software pci passthrough?

As Simon mentioned, you don't need vt-d to pass a network card through.
(provided the card plays nice)

I have had some NICs that didn't allow this and as long as you don't give the
WAN-network card an IP, it should not be possible to access the host directly.

--
Joost