Re: [Xen-users] About project Kronos

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] About project Kronos
From: Muriel <mucawhite@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 16:29:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 07:30:48 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=EQUivUB+GBWiBa4mJN+HEs1W7iKqkMhDPFHUGYe8G9c=; b=JQRUAvrf9W1niTsLb3UxiY7w2JkxWodgCjlmDGcKR/7BJ55gb9xT0/FCWrOMuVzZFn YUy6w/7q++VYKNXUhoJjh4AKYc16UaNp54DC05WOdtuLTjnXnK6rNxPsUJJ2ED0zCgHc DgaI2J/UOFAhXPfS7xKH5dJRyZIMeKm9mCljA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Muriel <mucawhite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I read with pleasure the announcement of the Kronos project.
>> Some time ago someone had asked if it was possible to bring xapi on debian.
>> The answer had been that xapi on XCP works through changes in the os
>> and this made it difficult to porting.
>> So the question is: will now be able to recompile xapi on systems other
>> than the official without it becoming a hell?
>
> Yes. This is a desired side effect of project kronos.
>
>> XCP is a great system, but when an installation already exists, it would
>> be great to use xen + xapi.
>> Following OpenStack we realized that the version officially supported is
>> xcp /XenServer (ok ok and xen through libvirt). Having the opportunity
>> to expose the same API in a different system would be perfect.
>>
>> That the Kronos project has as a side effect to make this easier :) ?
>>

> Yes. Debian/Ubuntu (or pick your distro and port packages, if needed)
> + xapi + xapi-openstack-plugins + openstack packages being easier is
> an important goal.

Good news, was what I hoped.

> Debian packages for OpenStack exists
> (http://wiki.openstack.org/Packaging/Debian). You can install them on
> a Debian + xapi test system even.

Currently on the cluster is running a redhat clone (Centos5). This
made me hope for an easy installation of XCP package, but the 64 bit
rebuild was more complicated than expected.
The next cluster should have a centos6, and on my test i would try
xapi-openstack-plugin - xapi - xen.
I'll start with tests in the coming days: if anyone is interested i
can keep the list updated of the progress.

--
Muriel