[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] VM backup problem

Please do not cross post between lists, see
http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/AskingXenDevelQuestions.

If this is a question regarding a commercial product (which looks
possible given the path names involved) then really you should contact
your support representative for that product.

Anyway moving xen-devel to BCC and replying to xen-users only since this
appears to be a problem with making use of the tools rather than a Xen
code problem.

On Fri, 2011-07-22 at 06:34 +0100, Jinesh M.K wrote:
[...]
> Then issue kpartx command
>
>                          kpartx
> -av /dev/VG_XenStorage-7b010600-3920-5526-b3ec-6f7b0f610f3c/lv_snapshot
>
> But this command not return any value.

I don't think it does on success. At least it was silent here when I
tried it.

>                          vgscan
>                         Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a
> while...
>                         Found volume group
> "VG_XenStorage-7b010600-3920-5526-b3ec-6f7b0f610f3c" using metadata
> type lvm2
>
> Here vgscan not show lv_snapshot
[...]

lv_snapshot is an LV not a VG so you would not expect vgscan to show it.

[...]
>                        mount -t
> ext3 /dev/VG_XenStorage-7b010600-3920-5526-b3ec-6f7b0f610f3c/lv_snapshot
>
>        mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock
> on /dev/VG_XenStorage-0cc224af-d9ed​
> -ff0d-7d9d-b7c2a7057011/lv_snapshot
>                      missing codepage or other error
>                     In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>                     dmesg | tail  or so
>
> Any help...

You ran kpartx which suggests you expect the device to be partitioned.

In which case I expect you need to mount a partition and not the whole
device. IIRC kpartx causes these to appear under /dev/mapper/ so you
should look for *lv_snapshotp[123..] under that directory and try
mounting one of those.

Ian.