Re: [Xen-users] XAPI on debian installation issue

To: Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XAPI on debian installation issue
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 00:02:12 -0400
Cc: Sébastien RICCIO <sr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 21:05:51 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=EJ9/EutpUjz7o8LLc2HDlBEUZWs3bKJhQZfZ8+SJ8c8=; b=Q0NhNOlTxwFvQkFFDAb62KgsQ5jApT1ycTx1tHFHUTQ/JFPNWJJNuoAh6+kA8B3I/H kpCGLsjQUy28fgPxr2yoGBKeSKfpB+HAQskUT4qPnIJEY5379lIOHK0e3GTciXIwHNft lhBBWIngGy5eF0pcixGFj9vYAYzC+tX5sOQ1M=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/7/18 Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> OK, there's a new blktap deb there (which you can tell by the date - at some
> point I'll sort things so that the version numbers aren't all 0.1 and the
> release numbers aren't all 1 :-)

The install works. I've cleaned up the wiki page a bit too.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_on_debian

I think I am running into a grub2 problem at the moment though. It
won't seem to boot to the Xen hypervisor (I'm grub blind since I am
doing this over a serial connection that doesn't show grub).

I'll try to work through the grub2 issue tomorrow, but any suggestions
are welcome.

here is the /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen file that comes with debian unstable:

http://pastebin.com/KivyRSsM

Any ideas as to why it won't boot into the Xen hypervisor?

I've done this type of troubleshooting already:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems#head-26434581604cc8357d9762aaaf040e8d87b37752

It can't even insert the modules for xen-evtchn (no such device),
which makes sense if (like I suspect) the Xen hypervisor is not
actually there.

Xen booting messages don't show up in dmesg or /var/log/messages, so
grub2 seems like the problem for sure.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Deshane