Re: [Xen-users] Kernel 2.6.32.41 raid bug on squeeze

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Kernel 2.6.32.41 raid bug on squeeze
From: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 19:40:07 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 11:41:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ian Tobin wrote:

I'm having issues on intel and amd, when booting it doesn't assemble the raid devices. It seems to work ok in Lenny but when you upgrade to squeeze it won't boot.

Anyone else with same issue?

I've recently just been getting into this mdraid stuff as I rebuild/upgrade some hosts. During my experimentation, I did find that you need the arrays to be defined in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf for them to automatically build - and of course you need to update your initrd after making any changes.

ARRAY /dev/md/main metadata=1.2 UUID<your array UID> name=<your array name>

I believe /usr/share/mdadm/mkconf shoudl make this automatically for you.

I spent a bit of time at a busybox prompt figuring this out ! But don't take my word, I'm only a novice at this. In my case I didn't upgrade from Lenny, I just wiped the storage (it was previously hardware raid, and I upgraded disks) and did a fresh install of Squeeze.

I had this problem because I manually created the arrays before starting the installer, because the installer doesn't seem to give you the opportunity to name the arrays etc. So of course, because the installer didn't build the arrays, I think it just missed the step of creating the correct config file.
--
Simon Hobson