Re: [Xen-users] xen 4.1.1 - xl create and python in config files

To: Task Struct From Hell <taskstructfromhell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen 4.1.1 - xl create and python in config files
From: Sébastien RICCIO <sr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 17:22:05 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 08:24:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 07/11/2011 02:25 AM, Task Struct From Hell wrote:

In Xen 3.4.x and below, xend would assume the configuration file was a
python module and you were therefore allowed to use python statements
and constructs to describe the configuration options dynamically.  If
using that config file is a must, then you should use xend just as
before. Otherwise, you should read the guide to Xen 4.1 from the link
below:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/MigrationGuideToXen4.1%2B

     -- TSFH

Hi TSFH,

Thank you for your reply.

Okay I understand this. It is just that as explained on the page you linked, that xm / xend
will be replaced by xl, so I am trying to be up to date with that.

But in the meantime I've get into other issues with xl, such as it doesn't support live migrations anymore ? It doesn't support remus which needs xend (high availability, clone live vm cloning on
two hosts, no more xmlrpc daemon).

On the other side xl seems to "support" tap:vhd block devices without letting the dom0 in a vegetative state (using xm to create a vm that uses tap2:vhd and ps -aux on dom0 is
hanging, etc).

What will be the future of opensource xen if these features are gone with xm / xend ? Is that
an attempt to force the use of XenServer or XCP ?

At this point I don't really get what are the positive points to move from xm to xl. Do you ?

Best regards,
Sébastien