Re: [Xen-users] Unable to start xend

To: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Unable to start xend
From: Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:36:14 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Forest Belton <fbelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:37:06 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
actually apt-get install xen-hypervisor-4.1-amd64 will pretty much get you going on Ubuntu 11.04/11.10

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Forest Belton <fbelton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm trying to install Xen on Ubuntu 11.04. I read somewhere (please correct
> me if this is wrong) that Ubuntu hasn't had dom0 support since 8.04 LTS, and
> the recommended action was to grab a dom0-enabled kernel from Debian, so I
> did. I'm running 2.6.32-5-xen-amd64 and built Xen 4.1.1 from source. After
> installation and some troubleshooting, I tried to start xend. Here is the
> result:
>
> vmtest@morphy:~$ xend start
> xc: error: Could not obtain handle on privileged command interface (2 = No
> such file or directory): Internal error
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/xend", line 36, in <module>
>    from xen.xend.server import SrvDaemon
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py",
> line 26, in <module>
>    import relocate
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/server/relocate.py",
> line 28, in <module>
>    from xen.xend import XendDomain
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendDomain.py", line
> 36, in <module>
>    from xen.xend import XendOptions, XendCheckpoint, XendDomainInfo
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py",
> line 20, in <module>
>    from xen.xend import balloon, sxp, image
>  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/xen/xend/image.py", line 46,
> in <module>
>    xc = xen.lowlevel.xc.xc()
> xen.lowlevel.xc.Error: (1, 'Internal error', 'xc_interface_open failed: No
> such file or directory')
>
> Some searching led me to believe that this error occurs when I haven't
> booted into a Xen kernel, but this confuses me as I am fairly certain I
> have. /sys/hypervisor exists as well as /dev/xen. What have I overlooked? I
> apologize in advance if I have posted to the wrong mailing list.

I'm guessing that you haven't booting into the Xen kernel directly and
it is a grub2 issue. (you can search xen.markmail.org for related
issues - let us know if you are unable to find anything)

If not, another thing you can look into is making sure /proc/xen is
mounted properly.

Post the output of uname -a and dmesg. You can also go into the grub
settings, turn off the splash, turn on verbose and watch the Xen
hypervisor and dom0 load.

Also of note, upstream Linux 3.x kernels boot Dom0 now and Ubuntu
unstable is packaging them. You could try to grab one of those and
boot from it.

Thanks,
Todd

--