Re: [Xen-users] Cannot boot with LVM inside Xen DomU

To: Prakhar Srivastava <prakhar.apj@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Cannot boot with LVM inside Xen DomU
From: Oliver Wilcock <oliver@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 09:29:13 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 06:30:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you used a file based image for the guest, then your VM config will need to refer to that image.

The following is not a file based image:
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/Box1/debian-lvm-image,xvda,w' ].

I don't use file based images, but I think you do something like this:
disk = [ 'file:/home/Box1/image.raw,xvda,w' ].

If you are already doing LVM then I don't see the value of file based images.

Where you are really on the wrong track is with the idea that the LVM is copied during rsync of a file system.

You could copy an LVM partitioned disk but you would use a block/bit based tool like dd.

If you did that, though, you would would create a nested LVM configuration. I think that will cause you grief. Two volume groups with the same name are going to be in conflict.

The following config lines are in conflict:
> and root='/dev/Box1/root
>
> Withing the virtual disk image, the /etc/fstab contains the entries
> /dev/xvda       /

The following is more likely:
root='/dev/xvda'

This tells the guest kernel were to find the root image before it reads the fstab.

The idea of using the Dom0 kernel is possible, but harder to maintain in the long run. If you are making hundreds of light-weight VMs you might think the extra effort is worth it, but then you wouldn't copy the entire root file system, would you...

So, based on the snippets of your configuration file it appears that you are trying to use a LVM-backed guest image. Good choice; but poor description.

Mounting the image to copy in the root file system should work. You picked the same file system, right? If the Dom0 was using ext3 then the guest should be the same (cause the Dom0 initrd that you are recycling contains the driver for ext3). Using /dev/xvda will work but I have found, when using SUSE, that this creates challenges when trying to upgrade the guest from one release to another. The install programs expect a disk with a primary partition (or at least, they did the first time I tried this). As a consequence, I typically partition the guest image and use /dev/xvda1 for the root file system.

I hope the above fills in some of the the blanks in your understanding. With Xen you get lots of flexibility, but not all of the choices should necessarily be used together.

To better communicate your challenges it would help if you identified the "error".

So you want an VM inside your guest? And you want to avoid installing the guest? You will need to mount the guest image in the Dom0 and create an LVM with in it.

Here is a hint:
xm block-attach 0 phy:/dev/Dom0guest-space/debian-lvm-guest-image xvda w
pvcreate /dev/xvda
vgcreate Box1 /dev/xvda
lvcreate -n box1-boot -L20GB /dev/Box1