Re: [Xen-users] XEN DomU isn't starting...

To: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN DomU isn't starting...
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 19:28:39 +0700
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 05:29:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/7/3 Stefan <hest@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi guys!
>
> I installed XEN 4.0 on Debian Squeeze but I cannot get the first DomU
> (not an image) started.
>
> Attached you will find /etc/xen/xen1.conf and the result of "xm create
> -c /etc/xen/xen1.conf" in xen1.log.
>
> Can you help me? What did I wrong?

Lots of things.

> Is it about the fstab in xen1 (see
> also attached)?

Part of it, yes.

To make it simple, are you following a tuturial? If yes, you should
follow it EXACTLY, down to the same kernel and Xen version. If not,
and you're a beginner to Xen, then I highly suggest you use a GUI
frontend (e.g. virt-manager), setup a NEW domU using network install
(a Centos or Debian domU is usually a good start), then learn from the
generated config files and images.

The long version, you're booting using a kernel from dom0, but
WITHTOUT and initrd. That's fine if you know what you're doing, but
from the output it seems that you don't. For starters, you need xen
frontend block device driver loaded, and usually it's built as module
(xen-blkfront) on modern distros.

Then there's the fact that you use hda on both domU config file and
fstab. It was deprecated a long time ago, and using it may lead to
confusion as newer kernels will silently rename it to xvda or xvde.

There might be other problems, but start with those two.

--
Fajar