Re: [Xen-users] domU startup freezes at "Starting plymouth"

To: Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] domU startup freezes at "Starting plymouth"
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 05:12:17 +0700
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 15:14:51 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 2:25 AM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got xen-4.1.1 running with linux-3.0.0-rc5 and am trying to start my
> first guest, f14-x86_64, which does boot on bare metal.

... and here's the first mistake. I assume you're converting an
existing linux installation to Xen?
I highly suggest NOT to do so on your first domU/guest.

> The configs below show kernel, ramdisk, and disk assignments for the virtual
> machine.  They also show that the virtual machine uses the target disk
> devices.  The last section shows part of the boot sequence starting with the
> disk assignments, which are successful.  Everything stops at the last line
> until some time later when the messages "Boot has failed, sleeping forever"
> appears.  (I think this is about where the initramfs hands off control to
> the kernel.)
>
> dom0: /etc/xen/vm1
>
> kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-3.0.0-rc5"
> ramdisk = "/boot/initramfs-3.0.0-rc5.img"

This is the first mistake.

While domU can use kernel located in dom0, if you choose to do so then
you also need to specify the additional kernel arguments needed (e.g.
"root=/dev/xvda1"). It should be on an "extra" line.

Also, you need to have a matching set of modules in domU's
/lib/modules (although this does not directly related to the error
you're having now).

> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/OneTB/f14_64,     sda1,w',
>         'phy:/dev/OneTB/f14_64_swap,sda2,w' ]

this one should be xvda instead of sda

> [    0.171095] blkfront: xvde1: flush diskcache: enabled
> [    0.172102] blkfront: xvde2: flush diskcache: enabled

... and you need to match "root=..." kernel arg to whatever's detected
here. Since you use sda on the config file, F14's kernel will actually
detect the disk as xvde, which can be confusing. Better stick with
xvda.

> If I can get just one vm running I'll be on my way...  I've been stuck here
> since yesterday.  Any help appreciated.

The best way for beginners is start with the easy things first.
Install virt-manager, install a new domU, look at the generated config
file and disk image, then start changing things from there.

--
Fajar