[Xen-users] Binding Xen vm migration traffic to travel over 1 network ca

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Binding Xen vm migration traffic to travel over 1 network card (nic)
From: Benjamin Weaver <benjamin.weaver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:10:14 +0100
Accept-language: en-US, en-GB
Acceptlanguage: en-US, en-GB
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 02:27:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are running Xen 4.0 on Debian Squeeze. We have set up a 2-node cluster and
successfuly migrate vm instances between them.

But we want to be able to select a particular nic to handle the migration
traffic. Xen documentation and discussion sometimes refers to a hypothetical
network configuration in which 'one network interface goes to the outside
world, and the other, connected by crossover cable, handles xen management,
including migration.'

Right, so how is this setup achieved, such that migration travels only over one
nic on each of the 2 nodes, the xend xm commands having been bound to travel
over that nic?

An example command, assuming box1 and box2 are the 2 nodes:

box1# xm migrate lucidxentest.phon box2 --live

To be clear, I am pretty sure this is not a vm (domU) configuration issue;
rather a dom0 configuration issue.

Is the binding to a particular nic achieved through Xend configuration? or is
it done externally, by adding routes, etc.?