[Xen-users] Re: Xen pci device #0

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Xen pci device #0
From: Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:32:51 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:34:44 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to :cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=kLDeRRr0dpY853y7n+vQFOCsaIgRljdCUDjUBpp3S8E=; b=gSI19AmyRcnCnmBLNwpost9Z9w0mLqmSNqq3g/Qx1yk2/dparorP+PP5jOBApEqN/5 9xB+Qy/hIio0pflqnmk8PmTXNZ7OiCknWIlKCH2iV2eYwD/SJdwyyI2hCYayukmCv5Nn ad7x4rK8grEZihawHjS5yz88/nJ9O1gn9zHVQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 30 June 2011 15:45, Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 30 June 2011 14:53, Liwei <xieliwei@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ----snip----
>>        3. On every boot, the system is very unresponsive (mouse
>> cursor updates every 3 seconds, the login screen fade-in takes 6
>> seconds to finish) for the first 5 minutes or so.
>
> I think I just found the cause of this. It appears that any high
> network load causes 100% CPU utilisation. None of the processes are
> taking up the CPU cycles though, so I assume its the XenNet driver.

Just an update. Starting with a fresh XP SP3 install, I tried
installing (in that order):
    1. Latest version from hg
    2. 0.10.0.134 from meadowcourt
    3. 0.11.0.238 from meadowcourt
Each time reverting to initial state via System Restore.

The results were all similar:
    1. Xentop shows no block activity
    2. Unresponsive UI + bad speed when transferring files from Dom0 to VM
    3. For small files (<5MB), the above problem doesn't occur
    4. For file transfers from the VM to Dom0, the above problem
doesn't occur as well
    5. Stray Xen pci device #0 with no driver installed

The same thing occurs with check RX checksum dis/enabled.

I now suspect that something changed in the recent xen and/or kernel
(since I'm running yesterday's snapshot) that's causing this. Or is my
hardware at fault?

Please tell me if I can be of help remedying this.