Re: [Xen-users] could not get IP address for the interface created by ne

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] could not get IP address for the interface created by netfront driver on HVM guest
From: veerasena reddy <veeruyours@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:37:28 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 26 Jun 2011 23:08:56 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=A8VWXnHzzsNfkeIkgzs4xvYUfny/Cx4J9Lgd+b+aTlg=; b=PUJ71Y+kjhteis1bxbqoFjzKOOwwBpPXeNhs+1eGmVEijJ15hoSTkn3eCUmW8Vg3aH IFDHhp+izTVZcx2NDNPyL1ODLAdxQcpRQLdURy991H5cXssGXwGV/pmkpG5EIaqBju5D JyZOjuBYIEZuYlu2SoIO077fB9VXgGRKdWPv0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have specific requirements to run 2.6.35 kernel.
Could you please suggest if there is any other way to get it working without Tx checksum off on dom0.

Thanks & Regards,
VSR.

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 7:31 PM, veerasena reddy <veeruyours@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> And when I explicitly ran dhclient on domU, i observed "5 bad udp checksums
> in 5 packets" which was causing drop of packets and the DHCP reply observed
> in tcpdump was not reaching DHCP client.
> when i disabled Tx checksum on the dom0 vif corresponding to the netfront on
> domU, i could successfully get IP address assigned for my interface on
> Guest.
> # ethtool -K vif1.0 tx off  <<<---- executed on dom0
>
> Any idea why the "bad checksum" happening with PV driver? (while everything
> was fine with pure HVM).

checksum is kinda on-and-off thing with Xen. At this point I'd suggest
trying later kernels for domU. In particular, Ubuntu's 2.6.38-server
kernel work fine on my setup (including DHCP). You might want to start
with latest stable kernel (which shouldn't require any additional
patch).

--
Fajar