Re: [Xen-users] Nested VM

To: S G <issatuni@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Nested VM
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 10:58:21 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:02:05 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from :date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type; bh=fFysxrHAxY4CrKhVBdtxOxv+oPd1xKiBLuLpzApbi+g=; b=dP/enL/FKKfrdbxcBawABXxXcbZq5m5sigFds2hy96IbBw6G6c6QZTm/fGYvIZwm53 zBboK3PwIKOWsa+piFXxLIjUIPP1TGABlL6RQgHSuRyvOn2nsmkJ9S2jM+mCIrrsh1f+ 3drOSmB4pViNbggShzV1PhjxG+1b35fBAjDOk=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 5:28 AM, S G <issatuni@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> As part of my project for my MSc, I am looking for a solution to implement
>> nested virtual machines. My current scenario is:
>> - I have a server with AMD Phenom II X6 1100T and 8GB RAM - virtualization
>> enabled at BIOS.
>> - I have installed 64bit CentOS-5.6 with Xen enabled (let's call it as
>> base1).
>> - On top of base1 I have also installed 64bit CentOS-5.6 (guest1) with Xen
>> enabled and I would like to install Debian and WIndows XP on top of guest1,
>> when I try to install using Virtual Machine Manager I am not able to see the
>> 'Fully Virtualized' option.
>> Could you please suggest me how can I deploy nested virtual machines?
>
> There is active development and testing going on for this type of feature.
>
> For AMD, take a look at nested svm
> http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=nested%20svm#query:nested%20svm+page:1+mid:z33lihxnbdjghua5+state:results
>
> For Intel, take a look at nested vmx
>
> I think the patches are only in xen-unstable at the moment and they
> are actively being tweaked and tested. If you try them out and have
> problems, post to the xen-devel mailing list (see also
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/AskingXenDevelQuestions)

Also, there is a thread on Xen-devel about nested virtualization:

http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=nested+virtualization+who+tried+it#query:nested%20virtualization%20who%20tried%20it+page:1+mid:gmawzl4of6tjnuqk+state:results