Re: [Xen-users] Xen + SAN

Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

If you need SAN for other purposes (e.g. live migration), then others
have already provided some good example. However, personally I'd check
again with the requirement. It's possible that the "best" setup for
you might be:
- a zfs-based storage appliance (e.g. napp-it, nexentastor) with lots
of disks (mirror), lots of memory, and SSD for L2ARC/SLOG to provide
high I/O throughput
- nfs and image-based disks to provide easy management
- tap:aio or tap:vhd on Xen side

Do you have any feeling for how such a setup might compare, performance wise, with a local disk setup with the same disks and LVM and a partition per client block device ?

At the moment I've got 4 boxes, and have similar issues to the OP - one has spare disk but not enough ram, others have no spare ram but spare disk, and so on. Apart from one box which is probably temporary, they are "hand me down" Dell servers with SCSI disks which are (relatively) hard to obtain/expensive in large sizes. So I have been toying with setting up a box with a few SAS or SATA disks and migrating some of the guest storage to it.

--
Simon Hobson