[Xen-users] Networking how does it really work?

To: "Xen-user-list" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Networking how does it really work?
From: "Rafael Weingartner" <rafaelweingartner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 21:04:46 -0300
Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 17:06:29 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:message-id:from:to:subject:date:mime-version :content-type:x-priority:x-msmail-priority:importance:x-mailer :x-mimeole; bh=Ag/xLeI5nt3vGkiZJFTSAHkuMZqj6qJfwP/wji6OagM=; b=atPaU/dtSwMzGYe7/6Gwc1NA0rmNea8b2PJIeHQ0u8Iu9CjPGefeyJDAMMwqlBb1lx RPLh3L7EYd3fZXkyg4wHdn7o1+j6zksNpXOeQQ+UqzsqkU0wqg8/EC+o8d0Tov4AwaZ2 u2ua+FXMHTi4fetCeJtE6hh7pxzDomjTXYLDU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey guys,

I have some doubts about networking on XCP.
When I create a VM and start it, the Xen server is creating a VIFx.x

So, here is my doubts.
When I start a VM and the Xen server creates this interface is it bridged automatically?
Or do I need to forward its traffic through my LAN connection?

I tried to forward the traffic from this interface to my eth0 but it seemed not work.

Here is the script that I created and executed on Xen server:
# Always accept loopback traffic
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

# Allow established connections, and those not coming from the outside
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state NEW -i ! xenbr0 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i xenbr0 -o vif5.2 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

# Allow outgoing connections from the LAN side.
iptables -A FORWARD -i vif5.2 -o xenbr0 -j ACCEPT

# Masquerade.
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o xenbr0 -j MASQUERADE

# Enable routing.
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward