Re: [Xen-users] How do you tell if a kernel will work with Xen?

To: John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How do you tell if a kernel will work with Xen?
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 22:53:43 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:55:11 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from :date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=4GKP6E9zVh61i3X46pBqOILDern4ANa956wT8/LrBoM=; b=L/NgJF+xBpBoz3NvRLgXYgBPK4uAUtAyTpGwJgSvMNlwsCmjxHjySDh37+cxAcc6RC cGIhGa9J0Pjaz9wo4LZE6LuuLT0Bom6iqXyjcTpWs6W4l+M5D052C1Wois3dtx8ps+Y7 u7RO2VOxJEfWcfEkHbFCPpQvROO/348u3XTw8=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 7:36 PM, John Griessen <john@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In other words, what is the definition of "Wen aware"?
> I'm thinking of kernels that come packaged with Ubuntu.

It's sounds like you are asking about domU (or guest) Xen-aware
kernels. In that case, mainline kernels newer than 2.6.23 should have
the support, which does include ubuntu packaged kernels (you may want
to try to stick to server, ec2, or -xen kernels as I think there were
some reports of a specific version of Ubuntu's desktop kernel lacking
xen support, perhaps accidentally, 10.04 If I recall correctly)

> One way is to compile one yourself, reading the kernel compile docs,
> but the kernel needs to run on hardware with VT built in and my desktop
> machines don't,
> and the server I rent is 64 bit dual core,
> so that's a cross compile rather than one I could test here, then deploy.
>
> The deploying is not to dangerous though --  I'll have a working kernel to
> fall back to
> booting with pygrub.  Is cross compiling Xen aware linux kernels much
> different
> than a straight compile on the same machine you are running the kernel on?
>
> John Griessen

Todd Deshane
http://www.linkedin.com/in/deshantm
http://www.xen.org/products/cloudxen.html