Re: [Xen-users] Can we use PXE to run XEN LiveCD

To: Martinx - ジェームズ <thiagocmartinsc@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can we use PXE to run XEN LiveCD
From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:43:30 +0200
Cc: Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 12:44:50 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=7NNB9COTRgDTs5H6kHC+SIe0EtkKs5sOnLICf72uvJ0=; b=loX8f0z0Pim8uqlkIeZ5afKnbnH160PBuM4KiTT4+ktR0C3oP8MooB7qS06JjIWsxh lN2AlopjOBl3rNs9BS+4xgTa5qb/fyN2TkDV+Uw1uSK/T71XyvKiLtIu1xWs8oNV1JAj m2AOBjxejT1j/kmmK88O9JsaEfgzYU5ds2xxM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Thiago,

>  This is a great idea but, at this time, I did not prepare this kind of
> setup within the current Xen Live CD...
>  It will be awesome boot the Xen Live CD and have it working as a PXE
> Server, so you can boot any number of diskless live dom0s... Is that your
> idea?!
>  Working more or less in the same way the LTSP does today but, instead of
> booting diskless desktops, you can be able to boot diskless Xen servers...

Nice to see you're thinking so far ahead :)
I have a rough cut of a readonly dom0 which is working flawless for me.
Since XCP had stateless Xen on it's roadmap I figured I should put the
stuff online.

It's not yet enough for a farm of netbooting dom0s, but this is of
course something that comes to mind, especially since noone can guess
how long it would take till a Mini-OS dom0 ever becomes reality.

Maybe you can find something to work from:
The files are here:
https://bitbucket.org/darkfader/black-magic

(if you head to wiki there it has some minimal documentation)
A topic I did not touch is how the dom0s find their domU config files.

This is for two reasons:
a) since I can put any kind of python into the config files I don't
need to have much hardcoded in there, instead I can query *any*
source.
b) I decided to have all VMs preconfigured. (see:
http://deranfangvomende.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/are-you-really-done-virtualizing-or-did-you-stop-at-the-start/
)

Greetings,
Florian

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and