Re: [Xen-users] 4.0.1, Debian Squeeze, and p[yv]grub

To: Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 4.0.1, Debian Squeeze, and p[yv]grub
From: Adi Kriegisch <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 12:00:27 +0200
Cc: Simon Hobson <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 30 May 2011 07:07:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> What filesystem are you using?
> I remember have read pygrub only support ext filesystems.
> > Following a hint I came across, I tried manually calling pygrub with :
> > >  /usr/lib/xen-default/bin/pygrub --args="root=/dev/xvda1 ro"
> > >/dev/vgmain/ipv6root
> >
> > And got these errors :
> >
> > >Using <class 'grub.GrubConf.Grub2ConfigFile'> to parse /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> > >WARNING:root:Unknown directive load_video
> > >WARNING:root:Unknown directive terminal_output
The filesystem seems to be supported, but /boot/grub/grub.cfg cannot be
parsed.

> > Based on the last line of that, I tried an experiment and edited the
> > script. AFAICS, the line in question is trying to extract a number
> > from a device name, so I tried changing it from
> > >self._disk = int(val[2:])
> > >self._disk = int(val[9:])
> >
> > I can then get the GRUB menu, and then quits - putting :
> > >linux (kernel /var/run/xend/boot/boot_kernel._IqLoQ)(ramdisk
> > >/var/run/xend/boot/boot_ramdisk.XUIE7W)(args
> > >"root=UUID=0fdd2127-ff17-4bd4-b1b8-08fd8b27ec9a ro  quiet
> > >root=/dev/xvda1 ro")
> > to the terminal - but not starting the guest.
The easiest way would be to install grub-legacy (which happens to be grub1
-- ie. the one with /boot/grub/menu.lst) and remove /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
The error in installing grub in the guest system can safely be ignored as
pygrub only relys on a valid grub.cfg or menu.lst. A valid boot sector is
not required.

> > Trying to start the guest with "xm create -c ipv6" gives :
> >
> > >Started domain ipv6 (id=3)
> > >                           [    0.204334] PCI: Fatal: No config space
> > >access function found
> > >[    0.251557] i8042.c: No controller found.
> > >mount: No such device
> > >W: devtmpfs not available, falling back to tmpfs for /dev
> > >Gave up waiting for root device.  Common problems:
> > >  - Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
> > >    - Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
> > >    - Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
> > >  - Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
> > >ALERT!  /dev/xvda1 does not exist.  Dropping to a shell!
> > >(initramfs)
> >
> > So it seems to have started the guest, but not with the right setup.
> >
> > If I change the boot settings back to using kernel= and ramdisk=
> > gives me a working guest again.
> >
> > Any hints ?
Assuming you've installed a working domU kernel in domU -- just try to
switch back to grub1. Actually just manually creating a simple "menu.lst"
file should suffice:
title       Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
root        (hd0,1)
kernel      /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/xvda1 ro quiet
initrd      /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64
(all paths should be absolute within your virtual machine.

-- Adi