Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0 + stable-2.6.32.x kernel = crashes, hangs, reb

To: jesse <thoughtafter@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4.1.0 + stable-2.6.32.x kernel = crashes, hangs, reboots
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 23:16:58 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2011 13:18:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:48:30PM -0700, jesse wrote:
> I upgraded a test system from Xen 3.3 to Xen 4.1.0.  I've compiled a
> kernel from the xen/stable-2.6.32.x branch from
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jeremy/xen.git.  While I
> can get virtual machines from Xen 3.3 to run with some configuration
> changes I've been unable to keep the host system stable for more than a
> few hours when running domU's.  This could be hardware related as this
> is hardly server grade hardware.  This is an AMD Athlon X2 on a consumer
> motherboard (ASUS I think).  I have run memtest for many hours to see if
> this was related to bad memory but all memory has tested fine.  After a
> few hours of running domU's the system will either reboot, hard lock
> (completely unresponsive), crash (completely unresponsive plus stack
> trace displayed), or soft lock (magic sysrq still working).
>
> I've tried running domU's using both xl and xm but both were unstable.
> Here is the xen options for the kernel configuration:

<snip>

Hello,

Can you post your full .config ?
Did you try my "reference" .config ? (available on XenParavirtOps wiki page).

> I've attached a couple of screenshots of stack traces when those have
> been present.  Are there known problems with stability in Xen 4.1?  Is
> this possibly a hardware issue that for some reason was not a problem
> under Xen 3.3?  Have I inadvertently enabled an unstable kernel module?
>  Any advice on how to move forward and resolve this issue.  I'd like to
> upgrade my Xen 3.x servers but only once I can be certain there is a
> stable platform for migrate too.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

I haven't seen this crash earlier.. you should set up a serial console
and capture the full xen+dom0 console output, including the crash/oops,
so it can be debugged..

http://wiki.xen.org/xenwiki/XenSerialConsole

-- Pasi