Re: [Xen-users] Finally cracked the mystery of motherboards with Vt-d su

To: toth@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Finally cracked the mystery of motherboards with Vt-d support
From: Claudiu Curcă <alexstrasza2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 13:49:42 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 May 2011 03:51:03 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=BFaYotR0ulJkLxCNrwKpNNPQs9WLWoICFKp96WUSmCI=; b=iKnFCBMozD06lmcNvMpg/AMh3fY5QTYGW5fTHUCxthLo2v3YXnclN3G/5STUF3yx5w Ar6aMpBeJyZ7QCJGtrpNi/WZ+vD5kFnbh5qSo6ugliaqYeyghBqWA7ADhPIDfSF1lxiO oLk/r10rdfda/ohFIoOQbReo/nvTPtg/fAjr0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2011/5/20 "Mgr. Šimon Tóth" <toth@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Some Intel motherboards have VT-d (made by Intel, not MSI/Asus/etc).
>>
>> I have an Intel S5520HC mobo which supports VT-d and has enough
>> expansion slots... You might want to take a look at it
>>

>> http://www.intel.com/products/server/motherboards/s5520hc/s5520hc-overview.htm
>
> Oh sorry, I was talking about non-server boards.
>
> And btw. the situation on Intel boards is the same. Only QXX chipsets with
> VPro support Vt-d.
>
> --
> Mgr. Simon Toth

Well, desktop boards will always be inferior in terms of performance
and features, compared to server boards, so it's not something
surprising that only a handful of them support this tech. Desktop
boards have low-cost as target rather than features for the
enthusiastic power user. That's why I suggested it, because I'm using
it in my own desktop computer.