Re: [Xen-users] Weird bridge problem Xen 4 + Debian Squeeze + HVM

To: Francisco Javier Funes Nieto <esencia@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Weird bridge problem Xen 4 + Debian Squeeze + HVM
From: Alexandre Chapellon <a.chapellon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 08:28:44 +0200
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2011 23:30:22 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Le vendredi 13 mai 2011 à 00:29 +0200, Francisco Javier Funes Nieto a
écrit :
> Without the VM-HVM running...
>

> root@debian:~# brctl show
> bridge name     bridge id               STP enabled     interfaces
> eth0            8000.002215e17c2f       no              peth0

peth.... :/

Personnally, I stopped rely on the networks scripts of Xen  since uears.
As said in the Xen 4.1 release notes, thoose scripts are very fragiles
and I personnally find them evry complicated for what they really do:
configure the dom0 network. In the past I remember having some issue
related to arp being disabled on some underlying device or being nabled
whereas it should not... As you can see I don't clearly remember. :)
If you want to stick with the network-bridge scripts of xen ... may be
you can take a look at the ARP options of the devices. I would recommend
you let the OS take care of Dom0 network config (furthermore Xen 4.1
doesn't provides thoose scripts anymore i think).

I personnally use network-dummy as the network-script in xend-config.sxp
and configure Debian to setup a bridge at startup like this:

auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.x.y
        netmask 255.255.a.b
        broadcast 192.168.x.255
        gateway 192.168.x.z
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_fd 3
        bridge_maxwait 5

This config allow HVM (here a vista host) to access network with the
following in its configfile:

vif = [ 'bridge=xenbr0' ]

Hope it helps.

> [...]
>         écrit :
>
>         > Hi all,
>         >
>         >
>         > I've a Debian Squeeze 64bits box with Xen 4 from deb
>         repositories and
>         > PV/HVM support.
>         >
>         >
>         > root@debian:~# xm info |grep xen_caps
>         > xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p
>         hvm-3.0-x86_32
>         > hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
>         >
>         >
>         > I'm trying to do a Windoze HVM but I've no network at all.
>         >
>         >
>         > This is the cfg file:
>         >
>         >
>         > #####################
>         > import os, re
>         > arch = os.uname()[4]
>         >
>         >
>         > kernel = "/usr/lib/xen-4.0/boot/hvmloader"
>         >
>         >
>         > builder='hvm'
>         > vcpus = '1'
>         > memory = 512
>         > shadow_memory = 8
>         > name = "xp1.canonigos.es"
>         > vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=eth0' ]
>         > disk = [
>         >  'phy:/dev/mapper/vserver-xp1,ioemu:hda,w',
>         >  'file:/root/xp.iso,ioemu:hdb:cdrom,r'
>         > ]
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-4.0/bin/qemu-dm'
>         > # boot on floppy (a), hard disk (c) or CD-ROM (d)
>         > # default: hard disk, cd-rom, floppy
>         > boot="dc"
>         >
>         >
>         > sdl=0
>         > vnc=1
>         > vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
>         > vncconsole=1
>         > vncpasswd='canonigos'
>         > stdvga=0
>         > serial='pty'
>         > usbdevice='tablet'
>         >
>         >
>         > on_poweroff = 'destroy'
>         > on_reboot   = 'restart'
>         > on_crash    = 'restart'
>         >
>         >
>         > ########################
>         >
>         >
>         > With this config I've no network inside the domU-HVM but PV
>         domU's
>         > with Debian works great.
>         >
>         >
>         > If I change vif= statement to type=paravirtualized the
>         domU-HVM
>         > doesn't recognize the PCI Network device.

horoa: la voie est libre