[Xen-users] HVM - where is domU memory assigned from?

To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] HVM - where is domU memory assigned from?
From: James Dingwall <james.dingwall@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 20:13:01 +0300
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 May 2011 10:14:27 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I have noticed that when I start a domU HVM I seem to be losing memory from the
dom0 _and_ from Xen free_memory pool.  For example if I start an HVM domU with
1024Mb (memory = 1024, maxmem=1024) then I get a qemu process in the dom0 of
around 1112 Mb reported in top and the free_memory reported by xm info also
decreases.  If I shutdown the domU then the qemu process ends and the xm info
output shows an increase.  Is the memory for the domU being allocated twice on
the system or does the dom0 allocation somehow map on to the memory controlled
by Xen?  I'm pretty sure the memory is being allocated from dom0 because
starting a number of similar HVM instances leads to a lot of swap activity.

Thanks,
James