Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?

To: riki <phobie@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XCP: Insecure Distro ?
From: Adrien Guillon <aj.guillon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 17:29:30 -0400
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 09 May 2011 14:30:52 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=OF1WRuhx1z8o+4vA/mKnWqwpvzJZ66DTIyE88b9tOCc=; b=tW3HSfMT4hbAsON/ynPrIc05VXJIpyKjTfuZc9YlMqL/uMKJiPNuaQaU7t8gaPh2ig lHlvNYxGgYggpV18ZEvtbYs/JJyqr2mnF2CEMWwhIM6qxubXmghMUMtwpRhk9r1rhlmx HPTbw+OS1UKUjX1NjMBE9ZPm6xQUQ34EbOidM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Security updates are common, and generally do not make major interface
changes by design.  I have no desire to update anything aside from
receiving fixes for buffer overflows, or other exploits that are found
in the wild.  The system in question should be in production for
several years, and security patches are inevitable during that period
of time.

It likely took some effort to eliminate /etc/shadow in the first
place, as this has been standard practice for a very long time.  I
will not debate the merits of storing hashes in /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow because that debate ended a very long time ago.  Quite
simply this distro has a major security flaw.