[Xen-users] nvidia drivers do not seem to work on xen kernels

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] nvidia drivers do not seem to work on xen kernels
From: Jorg Lotze <jorg.lotze@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 16:06:41 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 06 May 2011 08:13:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi guys,

I spent the whole week trying to setup a Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit machine for
Xen virtualization (Xen 4.1) for GPGPU tests on several virtual machines
(using Xen's GPU passthrough capability). My problem is that I just
can't get the nvidia development driver to work on the xen kernel (works
perfectly fine with the standard kernel).

For compiling the kernel, I followed the instructions from
http://www.zeroaccess.org/2011/04/xen-4-1-on-ubuntu-10-04-64bit/ (but
built the kernel the debian way (make-kpkg) to get a nice .deb package).
It boots fine, I modified grub to set the kernel options, etc. All the
Xen setup seems to be working as it should.

I can't get the NVIDIA driver working on the host (Dom0) though. I used
the driver with CUDA 3.2, and also the 4.0 RC2 driver (for a GTX 590
card). When the system tries to start X11, the screen turns blank and
the system gets very slow. Booting the system into text mode works fine.
I can load the nvidia driver manually (modprobe nvidia), and create the
device nodes in /dev using mknode (so I have
the /dev/nvidia0, /dev/nvidia1, /dev/nvidiactl - with major number 195,
and minors 0, 1, 255, respectively). When I try to build anything using
OpenCL, it just reports that no platforms have been found. With CUDA, I
get the error: "cudaSafeCall() Runtime API error : invalid device
ordinal." Both work completely fine when I boot the system into a
standard kernel (linux-image-generic, default with ubuntu 10.04).

The X11 log just says that it failed to load the NVIDIA module. Syslog
gives messages like "NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed!" .

I tried various suggestions for installing the the driver found on the
web (e.g., http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/NvidiaGPU?highlight=%
28nvidia%29 ) but with no success.

Did any of you get NVIDIA and Xen work together?? How? Any help is
appreciated!

Jorg